Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ulysses Oyster Festival in NYC

Oh, YUM!
So every once in a while, K has a few tricks up his sleeve. He's gotten especially creative since Sweetie was born because free time is precious. Luckily we live within driving distance of New York City so fun events are very close. Two weeks ago he told me to get in the car...he had a surprise destination in mind. So I packed up the baby and the chihuahua and was ready to go...I LOVE surprises! (Okay, truthfully I didn't get ready until I had asked if there would be food there...K answered "Do you think I don't know you?!?") We ended up in the financial district at an outdoor Oyster Festival, hosted by Ulysses Folk House...it was AMAZING. Ulysses Oyster Fest The oyster season just started and they were carting huge bags of fresh oysters to the shucking stations. $6 for a draught beer (Guinness, Smithwicks or Harp) and $10 for half a dozen oysters and they were amazingly delicious. (It took me back to my trip to Australia with K in 2007...we had oysters at Blu Bar on 36 at the Shangri-La hotel. The view of Sydney was beautiful but the oysters in NYC were better!!!) So back to the festival---there were at least a half a dozen more restaurants from the immediate area with booths and some delicious food. I sprung for the Lobster Bisque and some handmade pizza rolls. Not the cheapest, but totally worth it.

So I hate to torture you by telling you about an amazing event that's already past, but hey, oysters are available during all months with an "R" in the name (yep, that's right, just don't expect good ones from May through August) so head on out to your favorite Raw Bar and partake! Two of my favorite spots in the area are Dish Bar and Grill in downtown Hartford and Max Oyster Bar in West Hartford. I've never had anything at Dish that I didn't like...the ambience and service are just as good. If you get the opportunity to go, definitely take it. And of course the Max Group name speaks for itself--try the Oysters Rockefeller at Max Oyster. If you have a favorite spot, let me know what it is! I'd love to check it out. So until tomorrow, have a great three meals...and maybe some oysters!

2 comments:

  1. I could eat oysters every single day. What a treat, they are...expensive treat, but one worth paying for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like fresh oysters, but then, you have to be careful. Try the Oyster Festival in Charleston, SC a few years ago, and those were roasted...wonderfully. BTW: I think the "R" thing is a thing of the past...today, quality fresh oysters can be obtained year round if you know what you are doing and go to the right place.

    ReplyDelete